Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Wisdom from Oswald www.rbc.org/utmost

The Changed Life
If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new —2 Corinthians 5:17

What understanding do you have of the salvation of your soul? The work of salvation means that in your real life things are dramatically changed. You no longer look at things in the same way. Your desires are new and the old things have lost their power to attract you.

One of the tests for determining if the work of salvation in your life is genuine is— has God changed the things that really matter to you? If you still yearn for the old things, it is absurd to talk about being born from above— you are deceiving yourself. If you are born again, the Spirit of God makes the change very evident in your real life and thought. And when a crisis comes, you are the most amazed person on earth at the wonderful difference there is in you. There is no possibility of imagining that you did it. It is this complete and amazing change that is the very evidence that you are saved.

What difference has my salvation and sanctification made? For instance, can I stand in the light of 1 Corinthians 13 , or do I squirm and evade the issue? True salvation, worked out in me by the Holy Spirit, frees me completely. And as long as I "walk in the light as He is in the light" ( 1 John 1:7 ), God sees nothing to rebuke because His life is working itself into every detailed part of my being, not on the conscious level, but even deeper than my consciousness.--

I am amazed today in our Christian culture, how many squirm about what it really means to be a believer and the evidence of salvation. Many in the church today think that because they said some type of prayer or walked an aisle then they are truly saved.

When I bring up evidence of salvation by our fruits in our ministry, there are some who do not agree with me. They simply believe because of a "decision" they are safe from the flames of hell.

A few weeks ago in our student ministry, we were talking about Romans 12:2, "Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect."
My question is, "If our thinking and our life has not changed since we "prayed or walked an aisle", is one truly saved?" I would like your thoughts. Many are seeking God's will but can't find God's will because their thinking and their heart have not been transformed through God's salvation.

A couple of my thoughts just thinking out loud:
James 2:17,18 "You see, faith by itself isn't enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless. Now some may argue, "Some people have faith; others have good deeds." But I say, "How can you show me your faith if you don't have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.
James 2:19 You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. How foolish! Can't you see that faith without good deeds is useless?

Is there really a gray area when it comes to salvation? It seems that the American church culture believes so. But the Bible is clear, "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth you are saved. Romans 10:9, 10

We typically use this verse in the church as the part of the invitation/salvation prayer, but I don't think Paul intended for it to be a one time confession or prayer, but a continual attitude and daily confession. Does someone who simply says a one time prayer and not live what they believe truly saved? Think of the disciples--was it a one time confession or was it a daily confession lived out in their lives? Think of the martyrs--was it a one time confession or was it a daily confession lived out in their lives?

I don't know if the state of the Americal soul worries you or not. It does me. There have been many times that Sarah and I have considered going overseas full-time to be a missionary and we do that on an occasional basis, but we have come to the conclusion that God has called us to become missionaries to the unsaved believers-those who think they are saved when in reality true repentance and salvation has never occurred.

I could go on and on and on and on, but we are over Christianized in this nation...we have tons of spiritual resources---music, books, concerts, conferences and still revival has not come to our nation. Wouldn't you think if God could use 12 ordinary, unschooled men to change the world, he could use the millions of believers in this country? I believe it hasn't happened because we have many who claim to be Christians, but not true followers of Christ.

So, what are your thoughts? Not your opinion, but your biblical thoughts? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

No comments: